Wednesday, February 18, 2015

154/365 - 5 months and lots of vegies

In the last month, bub has reached so many milestones I'm actually having trouble keeping track. Actually it's keeping me busy to the point that it doesn't stop. I guess that's what you call the life of a mum!

It started with the rice cereal which he smashed bowlfuls at his leisure. Beginning with one tablespoon he more than quickly was eating about three tablespoons. To be honest, I reckon he could've eaten the entire pack if he wanted to. Great thing about the rice cereal is that it doesn't come back up. Having dealt with a frequently posseting baby for the last 5 months, this was certainly a refreshing change. So rice cereal done, it was then onto the vegies and fruits. 

I followed a few books to start; 'Save our Sleep Feeding', Annabel Karmels 'Weaning' and Fiona Wilcock's 'Feed your baby day by day' but to be very honest with you, none of the meal plans seemed to work or not in the order that the books recommended. I took maybe a couple days off as it was getting a little stressful trying to get bub onto the vegies and then came up with my own meal plan and it's been working a treat. 
Day 1-4: Zucchini with rice cereal (50/50). 1 meal a day
Day 5-7: Pumpkin with rice cereal (50/50). 1 meal a day
Day 8-10: Carrot with rice cereal (50/50). 1 meal a day
Day 11: Pear and rice porridge (50/50). 1 meal a day
Day 12+: 2 meals a day rotating the above combos

I've bulk pureed the zucchini, pumpkin, carrot, pear and also apple so there's enough to last me awhile yet. Next on my list is sweet potato, swede and avocado. And I won't lie, this whole getting bubs on solids is hard work and chews up a lot of time. When they say it takes 10 times to get bub liking something, they are right! Even when you sit bub down for one meal, he still pulls faces at me on the first few bites and maybe after the tenth bite he actually gets into it and starts opening his mouth for the food and wanting more.

Exciting times ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment