Thursday, February 19, 2015

159/365 - And we're rolling

I'm finding a big part of motherhood is watching/reaching those baby milestones. At first it's baby holding their own head up and before you know it, you are waiting for them to roll, to eat their first solids and so the list goes on. From the start, the nurses stressed the importance of tummy time to prevent flat head but then it's ever so important for baby's muscle and brain development. If you read what's out there, they say a baby should/may start rolling from around 3 months but at the end of  the day it's really up to the baby. They'll roll when they want to roll.

Admittedly this was a milestone I'd been keen my eye out on for awhile. Mainly cause at the start I had bub on the chaise bit of our sofa but more recently moved him onto a bigger mat on the ground. He may have done an accidental roll on the sofa one day which prompted me to move him to the ground but even then I thought it was an accidental roll where gravity was doing its thing. And well for about 2 months I didn't think my bub showed any inclination that he was about to roll, he would happily lie on his tummy or his back and that was about it.

Seeing a few of the bubs at mother's group, I did notice though that most of the early rollers were generally lighter babies. My theory is that heavier babies find it more difficult to roll as there's more weight to pull across. If you think about it, it takes a lot for even a grown up adult to bring themselves into a roll. And well, my baby is turning into a bit of a chunker. Not quite fat but definitely dense so I figured it was going to take him some time.

Well bang on 5 months, I popped him down at grandma's in the midst of reassuring mum that he doesn't roll and guess what he does. Two rolls in one go and mum just looks at me as if I'm nuts. All week I keep putting him down on his tummy and there's another roll. Now I'm constantly turning him back over so he's not quite so much the upturned cockcroach. So yes, there's our story of rolling from tummy to back. I believe the next milestone is back to tummy. He's definitely getting there as he's started to grab his feet and doing 180s on his back. Fun times ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment