Sunday, February 22, 2015

162/365 - my bub thinks the bumbo is a toilet

For bub's baby shower, he was generously gifted a red bumbo seat + tray by my long time best friend. For those that don't know what it is, it's essentially a moulded plastic seat that props bub up and supports them up whilst they are unable to sit up themselves. You can read all sorts of web literature that discourage you from using a bumbo seat as they say its not great for bub's development and by no means does the product actually say that it would encourage bub's physical and muscle development. As a new mum, I do read a little bit but like with all things baby related (walkers, jumpers etc.) they're not made to place bub in for long periods of time so if you use infrequently, it surely can do no harm?

We only started bub in the seat when he was 4 months which is when the manual says to start using it. Sometimes I think I should've started using it a bit earlier as bub has been growing quite a bit and getting him in and out of the seat has been a tight fit. Thought tight is good as it mean bub is supported in the seat but I'm guessing this seat isn't going to last him long at the rate he's growing. 

At first I thought the seat was fantastic, bub could sit up and see us and with him starting solids, we could feed him seated in the chair. He was getting rather cranky being on his back and tummy and being able to sit up meant he could join us at the dinner table for meal times. He loved it! Then the grunting started. Wedging bub out of the seat and looking down, there you have it, he did a poo. We've had close to an 80% hit rate with him sitting in the seat and pooing. A number of times the bumbo has had a thorough washing and well, there doesn't seem to be any signs of it slowing down. My bub thinks the bumbo is a toilet and he does his business in there and usually it's within the first 10 minutes.

I jokingly said to my husband that we should just cut a hole in the bottom by the time we have to toilet train bub. It really isn't a bad idea and well, given he's using it as a toilet, I'm not so sure about passing it along to any mums-to-be.

No comments:

Post a Comment